Final Greenhouse Construction

After making a quick stop by Home Depot to pick up some 2x4s and metal brackets, we arrived at the farm around 10:30. I quickly measured out where the remaining roof supports would go and drafted the measurements in SketchUp. If I measured, drafted, marked, and cut the first 2×4 correct, I could use that one as a template for the other three. If I did any of those steps wrong, I might have to make a trip back to Home Depot for a single replacement!

Turns out the cuts were correct. But I had only bought half of the metal brackets we needed. When I returned from the store, I quickly attached the supports and we got to measuring the last two pieces of plastic sheeting that would cover the triangular ends of the roof.

The last piece of the greenhouse to go together was the roofing material. We had decided on a thick, rigid, semi-opaque corrugated plastic, almost like Plexiglas. And to make sure that we didn’t have chatter when using a saw to cut it, we used the old trick of tapping the cut line with blue painters tape. Clare had also received advice telling us to turn the saw blade backward to cut this stuff. The saw cutting through the plastic made a horrible popping sound that made it seem like the entire sheet was cracking and splitting, but the saw and tape worked perfect!

Now on to attaching the sheets to the frame. Because I was afraid of splitting and cracking the material like I had done in the past when using similar hard plastic, I drilled pilot holes for every single screw that was to be used. This took at least three of us to try and hold the plastic in place while I drilled pilot holes, switched bits, then screwed in special wide head screws with a small rubber cushion to keep them from screwing in too deep and splitting the material.

Greenhouse RoofGreenhouse RoofGreenhouse RoofHop Greenhouse Finished

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply